Removal of pharyngeal pouch

Minimally invasive surgery to remove a pouch that can form at the top of your food pipe

What is a pharyngeal pouch?

A pharyngeal pouch is a bulging pocket that forms in your neck near the top of the food pipe.

Symptoms include the feeling of a lump in the throat and a gagging reflex.

Your consultant can remove this pouch using a minimally invasive procedure.

Need to know

  • What happens during surgery? icon plus

    After you've been put to sleep with a general anaesthetic your surgeon will insert a tube into your food pipe through your mouth, and use a tiny camera to locate the pouch. It will then cut away using a special stapling device.
  • How to prepare icon plus

    Your surgeon will tell you how you should prepare. As you'll be given a general anaesthetic you shouldn't eat or drink for at least 24 hours prior to your procedure.
  • After surgery icon plus

    You'll be unable to eat or drink by mouth following surgery and will be fed by a tube through your nose. Your surgeon will advise you when you will be able to eat and drink.

    Take your time eating once you do start and you will probably begin with a diet of soft foods, or liquids. You should be able to go home the day of the procedure, but an overnight stay may be required for observation.

    You'll be advised to rest, take time off work and avoid strenuous activities for about a week.

Our consultants

We're proud to work with leading Gastric and ENT experts who specialise in conditions affecting the stomach, neck and throat, and whose skills are matched by their integrity and compassion.

Our locations

From complex surgery to diagnostic tests and minor procedures, we provide exceptional care across our network of hospitals, outpatient centres and specialist clinics.

Contact us about ENT appointments

Our helpline advisors can assist with enquiries about booking an appointment with a specialist. 

020 7079 4344
This content is intended for general information only and does not replace the need for personal advice from a qualified health professional.
back to top