Rectocele repair

Treatment for posterior vaginal wall prolapse

A rectocele is a when a prolapse (bulge) appears between your back passage and vagina

What is a vaginal prolapse?

A rectocele is a type of vaginal prolapse (organ bulge). It happens when the thin wall of tissue between your back passage and rectum (known as the posterior vaginal wall) weakens and then bulges out. This weakening can be brought on by childbirth and other processes that put pressure on your pelvic area.

If the resulting prolapse (bulge) is small then you might not experience any symptoms. If the prolapse is large and protrudes outside your vagina, it can be extremely painful and affect your bowel movements. If this happens, we can help by carrying out rectocele repair surgery.

Need to know

  • What happens during surgery? icon plus

    Your gynacologist will repair the rectocele by removing the excess, stretched tissues that have caused the bulge. The procedure is done under general anaesthetic.
  • How to prepare icon plus

    You may need to have an enema prior to the procedure to empty your bowel. As the procedure will be done under general anaesthetic, you may also need to limit your food and drink intake beforehand.

    Your consultant or nurse specialist will explain this and any other preparations you'll need to take. They'll also explain the procedure itself, as well as any risks or side effects involved.
  • After surgery icon plus

    Your consultant or nurse specialist will explain what happens after the procedure. They'll also know when you can get back to your usual routine.

Our gyanecology consultants

We're proud to work with leading experts across a range of medical fields, whose skills are matched by their integrity and compassion.

Our locations

From complex gynaecological surgery to diagnostic tests, scans and minor procedures, we provide exceptional gynaecology care across our network of hospitals, outpatient centres and specialist clinics.

Book an appointment with a gynaecologist

Our team can help book a consultation with a gynaecologist in one of our HCA UK facilities in London, Birmingham or Manchester by phone or by completing our appointment request form. 

Call us on

020 7079 4344
This content is intended for general information only and does not replace the need for personal advice from a qualified health professional.
back to top