Neurosurgery describes any surgery performed on the nervous system, especially the brain and the spinal cord, to treat conditions such as sciatica, back pain, degenerative disease of the spine, vascular conditions including cerebral aneurysms, brain tumours and fluid on the brain (hydrocephalus).
HCA was the first private hospital group in the UK to establish a comprehensive, self-contained neurosurgical unit, and we now perform specialist neurosurgical procedures at three of our hospitals.
If you have neurosurgery at one of our hospitals:
- you have access to the latest equipment and facilities, dedicated specialist nursing and support teams, and very high standards of intensive care
- where surgery is the most or only appropriate treatment, your consultant can arrange for your operation to be performed without delay or, for less acute cases, at a mutually convenient time
- anaesthetic services are provided by experienced specialist neuroanaesthetists
- if you require further treatment after surgery, you will be referred promptly to an appropriate specialist from one of our hospitals
You can choose the consultant and hospital most convenient for you by simply entering the treatment into our ‘Consultant finder’.
With us, you can be sure you are getting the best treatment available. When you have any treatment in one of our units or hospitals, you will experience a number of benefits:
- Access to consultants who are experts in their field, working with the latest treatments and leading technologies in state-of-the-art facilities that smaller private hospitals cannot match.
- We are London’s leading private hospital group, treating 400,000 patients each year. This volume drives excellence and experience. We have invested £500 million in the last decade on the latest treatments, technologies and medication, many of which are not available on the NHS or via smaller private hospitals.
- You can be confident that we can take care of all your treatment needs. We are the only private hospital group to offer such an extensive range of treatments for patients of all ages.
- No waiting time. Your care will start as soon as you're ready.
- Your safety is protected. While some private hospitals have no emergency on-site critical care facilities, our consultants have access to more critical care beds 24 hours a day than any other private healthcare group in the UK. If you need urgent care you’ll receive it instantly – it’s very rare for us to transfer patients to another hospital. Our rates of MRSA are nearly five times lower than the national average. And we have zero recorded cases of some other common infections.
What to do next
Once you have decided that you would like to be treated at an HCA hospital, or would like further information, here's what to do next:
- Call one of our advisors on +44 (0) 20 7079 4399 or complete our web enquiry form.
- Check with your insurance company that your policy covers your treatment, and obtain authorisation.
- Visit or call your GP to obtain a referral letter and then call us to make an appointment to visit your chosen consultant and hospital at a time to suit you.
Back to A-Z of Services and Treatments