HCA hospitals often perform a Percutaneous Transluminal Coronary Angioplasty (PTCA) if narrowings or blockages are found in the coronary arteries. A tiny deflated balloon is inserted into the narrowed or blocked artery using an extremely fine catheter. When it is in position, the cardiologist inflates the balloon with fluid, thereby creating an opening.
Sometimes the cardiologist may implant a small metal spring, called a stent, to help keep the artery open after the procedure. The stent is mounted on a PTCA balloon catheter, which is then inflated inside the artery. The stent expands and is left in place as the balloon is deflated and the catheter is withdrawn.
Some sedative medication is usually necessary to help patients relax during the procedure as it may take up to two hours. Patients normally stay overnight and should be able to return home the following day.
When you have coronary angioplasty at one of our hospitals:
- you can relax, knowing you are being treated by the largest provider of cardiac surgery in the country, offering the latest stent technology
- we are the only private hospital group to provide such comprehensive intensive care facilities and have amongst the highest cardiac survival rates in the UK, even with our complex case mix of high-risk patients
Are you paying for yourself? Click here for our self pay prices.
You can choose the consultant and hospital most convenient for you by simply entering the treatment into our ‘Consultant finder’.
With us, you can be sure you are getting the best available treatment. When you have any treatment in one of our units or hospitals, you will experience a number of benefits:
- Access to consultants who are experts in their field, working with the latest treatments and leading technologies in state-of-the-art facilities that smaller private hospitals cannot match.
- We are London’s leading private hospital group, treating 400,000 patients each year. This volume drives excellence and experience. Over the last ten years we’ve invested £500 million in the latest treatments, technologies and medication, many of which are not available on the NHS or via smaller private hospitals.
- You can be confident that we can take care of all your treatment needs. We are the only private hospital group to offer such an extensive range of treatments for patients of all ages.
- No waiting time. Your care will start as soon as you're ready.
- Your safety is protected. Some private hospitals don’t have any on-site critical care facilities in the event of an emergency. Our consultants have access to more critical care beds 24/7 than any other private healthcare group in the UK. If you need urgent care you’ll receive it instantly – it’s very rare for us to transfer patients to another hospital. Our rates of MRSA are nearly five times lower than the national average. And we have zero recorded cases of some other common infections.
What to do next
Once you have decided that you would like to be treated at an HCA hospital, or would like further information, here's what to do next:
- Call one of our advisors on +44 (0) 20 7079 4399 or complete our web enquiry form.
- Check with your insurance company that your policy covers your treatment, and obtain authorisation.
- Visit or call your GP to obtain a referral letter and then call us to make an appointment to visit your chosen consultant and hospital at a time to suit you.
Back to A-Z of Services and Treatments