HCA is committed to providing personalised cancer care, of the highest possible standard that:
- Includes reliable and balanced information and the support you need to make choices;
- Gives you the confidence that the best treatments are available;
- Ensures you are treated as an individual and are offered physical, emotional and social support;
- Is seamless, even when your care is delivered in different locations.
The specialist you meet at your first appointment will be involved in your care at every stage, from diagnosis to treatment and follow-up. You will see them regularly and have the reassurance that they are leading your care and giving direction to the team who are caring for you on a day-to-day basis.
Dedicated and highly trained specialist nurses are pivotal to the quality of care HCA provides for adults, young people and children with cancer clinical nurse specialists, chemotherapy nurses, palliative care nurses, ward and clinic nurses, each with expertise in particular cancers and different treatments.
Every member of the team will ensure patients and their families have the information and support the need to make decisions about their care. Many other members of the specialist team?radiotherapists, physiotherapists, pharmacists, dieticians, complementary therapists and others?will become familiar faces. Each has specific expertise and will give their personal attention and support.
- Listen to you
- Help you find suitable specialists, tests and treatments
- Provide information on coping with cancer and what to expect during treatment
- Suggest support groups and sources of information
- Help you answer insurance questions and to deal with practical day-to-day issues
- Support you throughout your care
We believe that support should not finish after your treatment and aim to support and advise on the emotional and practical effects of living with cancer, the possible long-term effects of treatment, and help you get back work or doing the things you enjoy doing so that you can maintain the quality of your life. We are building on the services we already provide to develop a comprehensive follow-up and survivorship programme. Further information on the existing LOC Living Well programme can be found here.