Squint correction surgery
Once you have noticed a squint, it is important to get it treated as quickly as possible. For this reason, squint correction is most effective in very young children. HCA hospitals offer different types of treatment, including corrective surgery, which is used if non-surgical procedures have been unsuccessful.
Corrective surgery can improve the alignment of the eyes to help them work in unison, and involves moving the muscles attached to the outside of the eye to a new position. The procedure is normally completed in less than an hour, and patients return home the same day. Squint correction surgery is one of the most commonly performed surgical procedures in the ophthalmology department at The Portland Hospital, the only private hospital in London entirely dedicated to women and children.
When your child undergoes squint correction surgery in one of our hospitals, you can expect:
- diagnosis by a team of specialist paediatric phthalmologists, who use the latest diagnostic equipment and techniques to treat squints
- your child will be accompanied by an experienced paediatric nurse at all times
You can choose the consultant and hospital most convenient for you by simply entering the treatment into our ‘Consultant finder’.
With us, you can be sure you are getting the best available treatment. When you have any treatment in one of our units or hospitals, you will experience a number of benefits:
- Access to consultants who are experts in their field, working with the latest treatments and leading technologies in state-of-the-art facilities that smaller private hospitals cannot match.
- We are London’s leading private hospital group, treating 400,000 patients each year. This volume drives excellence and experience. Our scale also means we have the funds to invest in the latest treatments, technologies and medication - £500 million in the last 10 years - many of which are not available on the NHS or via smaller private hospitals.
- You can be confident that we can take care of all your treatment needs. We are the only private hospital group to offer such an extensive range of treatments for patients of all ages.
- No waiting time. Your care will start as soon as you're ready.
- Your safety is protected. While some private hospitals have no critical care facilities on-site, our consultants have access to more critical care beds 24 hours a day than any other private healthcare group in the UK. If you need urgent care you’ll receive it instantly – it’s very rare for us to transfer patients to another hospital. Our rates of MRSA are nearly five times lower than the national average. And we have zero recorded cases of some other common infections.
What to do next
Once you have decided that you would like to be treated at an HCA hospital, or would like further information, here's what to do next:
- Call one of our advisors on +44 (0) 20 7079 4399 or complete our web enquiry form.
- Check with your insurance company that your policy covers your treatment, and obtain authorisation.
- Visit or call your GP to obtain a referral letter and then call us to make an appointment to visit your chosen consultant and hospital at a time to suit you.
Back to A-Z of Services and Treatments