Spinal decompression surgery
You may experience a narrowing in the spinal canal, known as spinal decompression, because of the natural ageing process, wear and tear, or even an inherited predisposition. When it becomes too narrow, the nerves within the spinal canal become compressed, causing you pain.
Once all other treatments have been exhausted, your final option is spinal decompression surgery. During this operation, the spinal column is widened by removing a small section of bone, which releases the build-up of pressure on the nerves inside the spinal canal.
Your operation is performed under a general anaesthetic by a dedicated spinal surgeon experienced in this specialist procedure, and you’ll normally remain in hospital for a week or more afterwards.
You don’t need medical insurance to receive treatment at one of our hospitals. Treatment from a leading specialist using the very latest technologies is more affordable than you may have thought, and our prices are very competitive.
When you have spinal decompression surgery at one of our hospitals:
- your procedure will be performed by a dedicated team of experts in spinal surgery using state-of-the-art equipment
- you will benefit from our investment in cutting-edge technology
- the procedure will be conducted in a dedicated spinal unit, where neuro and orthopaedic surgeons work together to provide exceptional spinal care
- respected specialists will use the most up-to-date techniques in pain medicine to aid your recovery
In terms of value for your money, nobody offers more. With us you can be sure you are getting the best treatment available. When you have any treatment in one of our units or hospitals, you will experience a number of benefits:
You’ll be treated by the country’s leading consultants, working with the latest treatments and technologies in superior facilities that smaller private hospitals cannot match.
You don’t need medical insurance to receive treatment at one of our hospitals. Treatment from a leading specialist using the very latest technologies is more affordable than you may have thought, and our prices are very competitive. As a guide, an initial consultation to clarify your condition and discuss the best course of action could be approximately £250.
You’ll be treated by London’s number 1 private hospital group. We treat over 400,000 patients every year, which drives excellence and experience. During the last decade we have invested £500 million in the latest technologies, medication and treatments, many of which are not available on the NHS or via smaller private hospitals.
You can be confident that we can handle of all your treatment needs. We are the only private hospital group to offer such an extensive and comprehensive range of treatments for patients of all ages.
You won't have to wait. There are no waiting lists with us, and often we have same day or next day appointments available.
Your safety is protected. Not all private hospitals are the same. Some private hospitals don’t have any on-site critical care facilities in the event of an emergency. Our consultants have access to more critical care beds 24/7 than any other private healthcare group in the UK. If you need urgent care you’ll receive it instantly – it’s very rare for us to transfer patients to another hospital. Our MRSA infection rates are nearly five times lower than the national average. And we have zero recorded cases of some other common infections.
What to do next
Once you have decided that you want to go ahead with your treatment, or would like further information, here's what to do next:
Self-pay two-step process to treatment
1. Contact us to discuss your needs, including HCA payment options for HCA private hospital treatments and surgery. We can help you choose the best consultant or specialist for your condition.
2. You can then book an initial consultation directly with us at a time and hospital that suits your needs – this could cost approximately £250. We can also give you a competitive guide price at the time of booking for any follow-up treatments that may be needed. Same day and next day appointments are available.
Back to A-Z of Services and Treatments