Gastric band (laparoscopic)
HCA hospitals offer gastric banding as a laparoscopic procedure to treat obesity – a type of weight-loss surgery where the size of a patient’s stomach is reduced using an adjustable band, so that they can only eat small meals.
This minimally invasive procedure involves passing a tiny camera and instruments through a single, very small incision in the belly button. The band is placed around the top of the stomach, creating a small, egg-sized ‘pouch’, which restricts the food that can pass through into the bigger part of the stomach. If the ‘pouch’ is full and stretched, you feel full and don’t want to eat any more. Once healed, there is no or very little visible scarring.
If you have a gastric band fitted at an HCA hospital:
- you will be treated by an expert in bariatric surgery
- you will benefit from our investment in the latest medical treatments
- your recovery will be quicker and less painful than some other types of surgery offered by smaller hospitals
Are you paying for yourself? Click here for our self pay prices.
You can choose the consultant and hospital most convenient for you by simply entering the treatment into our ‘Consultant finder’.
With us, you can be sure you are getting the best treatment available. When you have any treatment in one of our units or hospitals, you will experience a number of benefits:
- Access to consultants who are experts in their field, working with the latest treatments and leading technologies in state-of-the-art facilities that smaller private hospitals cannot match.
- We are London’s leading private hospital group, treating 400,000 patients each year. This volume drives excellence and experience. In the past 10 years we have invested £500 million on the latest treatments, technologies and medication, many of which are not available on the NHS or via smaller private hospitals.
- You can be confident that we can take care of all your treatment needs. We are the only private hospital group to offer such an extensive range of treatments for patients of all ages.
- No waiting time. Your care will start as soon as you're ready.
- Your safety is protected. Our consultants have access to more critical care beds than any other private healthcare group in the UK, while some private hospitals don’t have any on-site critical care facilities in the event of an emergency. If you need urgent care you’ll receive it instantly – it’s very rare for us to transfer patients to another hospital. Our rates of MRSA are nearly five times lower than the national average. And we have zero recorded cases of some other common infections.
What to do next
Once you have decided that you would like to be treated at an HCA hospital, or would like further information, here's what to do next:
- Call one of our advisors on +44 (0) 20 7079 4399 or complete our web enquiry form.
- Check with your insurance company that your policy covers your treatment, and obtain authorisation.
- Visit or call your GP to obtain a referral letter and then call us to make an appointment to visit your chosen consultant and hospital at a time to suit you.
Back to A-Z of Services and Treatments