Coronary artery bypass graft (CABG)
In coronary heart disease, the arteries become blocked. This decreases the blood flow to the heart, which may cause angina or a heart attack. This specialist procedure is carried out by consultants at London Bridge Hospital, The Wellington Hospital and The Harley Street Clinic, where they perform a coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) to improve blood flow to the heart by using healthy blood vessels, transferring and grafting them to the heart's blood supply system.
The procedure is carried out under general anaesthetic. The surgeon makes an incision down the middle of the chest, the heart is stopped and a cardio-pulmonary bypass machine takes over the role of the heart whilst the surgeon attaches the grafts. At the end of the operation, the heart is restarted.
The procedure can take between three to six hours, followed by routine transfer to the intensive care unit for recovery.
We also offer an alternative procedure called Off-Pump CABG or ‘beating heart surgery’, where only a small area of the heart is immobilised by a special suction device. Generally, patients undergoing this surgery have a quicker recovery and spend less time in hospital than those who have been on a cardio-pulmonary bypass machine.
Are you paying for yourself? Click here for our self pay prices.
When you have a coronary artery bypass graft at one of our hospitals:
- you can relax knowing you are being treated by the largest provider of cardiac surgery in the country
- we are the only private hospital group to provide such comprehensive intensive care facilities and have amongst the highest cardiac survival rates in the UK, even with our complex case mix of high-risk patients
You can choose the consultant and hospital most convenient for you by simply entering the treatment into our ‘Consultant finder’.
With us, you can be sure you are getting the best available treatment. When you have any treatment in one of our units or hospitals, you will experience a number of benefits:
- Access to consultants who are experts in their field, working with the latest treatments and leading technologies in state-of-the-art facilities that smaller private hospitals cannot match.
- We are London’s leading private hospital group,treating 400,000 patients each year. This volume drives excellence and experience and allows us to invest in the latest treatments, technologies and medication - £500 million in the past 10 years - many of which are not available on the NHS or via smaller private hospitals.
- You can be confident that we can take care of all your treatment needs. We are the only private hospital group to offer such an extensive range of treatments for patients of all ages.
- No waiting time. Your care will start as soon as you're ready.
- Your safety is protected. In case of emergency, some private hospitals don’t have on-site critical care facilities, while our consultants have access to more critical care beds than any other private healthcare group in the UK. If you need urgent care you’ll receive it instantly – it’s very rare for us to transfer patients to another hospital. Our rates of MRSA are nearly five times lower than the national average. And we have zero recorded cases of some other common infections.
What to do next
Once you have decided that you would like to be treated at an HCA hospital, or would like further information, here's what to do next:
- Call one of our advisors on +44 (0) 20 7079 4399 or complete our web enquiry form.
- Check with your insurance company that your policy covers your treatment, and obtain authorisation.
- Visit or call your GP to obtain a referral letter and then call us to make an appointment to visit your chosen consultant and hospital at a time to suit you.
Back to A-Z of Services and Treatments