Dr Alam was awarded the Gold Medal at Guy's and St. Thomas' Hospital Medical School for placing first in MBBS finals. She was additionally awarded Distinctions in Medicine, Surgery and Obstetrics and Gynaecology and prizes in Thoracic Medicine, Neurology and Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
Her postgraduate training in general medicine was at The Royal Brompton Hospital, Imperial College and St. George's Hospital. She carried out Dermatology specialist training at St. John's Institute of Dermatology, Chelsea and Westminster, St Mary's Hospital and Imperial College London.
She completed a PhD with award-winning postgraduate research in genetic skin conditions with prizes from the Royal College of Physicians, the Skin Investigation Society and the British Association of Dermatology annual trophy and prize. Dr Alam's research has been published in Nature Genetics and many additional high impact factor medical journals.
Dr Alam practices as Consultant Dermatologist at West Middlesex University Hospital and is an Honorary Senior Lecturer at Imperial College London. She also carries out joint specialist clinics in inherited skin cancer syndromes at the Royal Marsden Hospital.
As well as enjoying clinical practice in adult and paediatric dermatology, she is an Imperial lead for medical student teaching, has been awarded a commendation for teaching excellence and is a chair of the Imperial College Dermatology Society. She also acts as clinical editor of a quarterly scientific journal, Current Medical Literature in Dermatology.
- MBBS Gold medal with Distinctions in Medicine Surgery and Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of London 1996
- MRCP, Royal College of Physicians of England 1999
- PhD in Medicine, University of London 2005
- CCST Specialist register for Dermatology 2008
- Gold Medal, Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital for 1st place in the final MBBS written and clinical examinations, University of London
- Honours in Medicine, Guy's and St Thomas'Hospital, University of London
- Honours in Surgery, Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital, University of London
- Honours in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital, University of London
- Caroline Warwick Prize, Medical School first prize in Thoracic Medicine, Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital
- Sandoz Neurology Clinical Prize, Medical School first prize in Neurology, Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital
- Golding Bird Medal and Prize, Medical School first prize and medal in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital
- British Association of Dermatologists First Prize Whimster Award for best dermatology research thesis
- The Skin Investigation Society First Prize awarded for the best dermatology research thesis
- Young Investigator Award Medical Research Society finalist Rowell Dermatology Prize Royal College of Physicians of England
- British Association of Dermatologists Meeting Trophy and First Prize awarded for the best oral presentation at the British Association of Dermatologists meeting.
- General Medical Council
- Specialist Register for Dermatology
- British Association of Dermatologists
- Royal College of Physicians of England
- Royal Society of Medicine