Surgical Results at HCA Hospitals
At HCA we provide a broad range of surgical procedures, from less invasive to more complex surgery such as heart surgery and neurosurgery. For patients to be able to make fully informed decisions about their treatment, the information available to them needs to be transparent, accurate and robust. To enable this, the NHS and Healthcare Quality Improvement Partnership (HQIP) have released surgical results for individual NHS hospital consultants in 10 specialties. This means that patients can find out the number of times their consultant has carried out the procedure, mortality rates and if the clinical results are within the expected limits.
At HCA we also contribute to the larger national databases and are proud that we have been the only independent health provider that contributes data in a number of these audits. HCA Hospitals have been participants of audits in cardiology, adult cardiac surgery, children’s heart surgery and orthopaedics. Giving patients access to this information about our consultants help allow them to make fully informed decisions about their healthcare choices.
As part of our commitment to providing patient’s with easy access to information about the types of surgery performed and mortality rates for all hospitals and consultants, links are provided below where you can view the individual results published by the relevant national body.
- Bariatric surgery (surgery to treat obesity)
- Adult cardiac surgery (heart surgery)
- Colorectal surgery (surgery on your bowel). Will be published in autumn 2013
- Head and neck cancer surgery. Will be published in autumn 2013
- Interventional cardiology (heart disease treatments carried out via a thin tube placed in your artery)
- Orthopaedic surgery (surgery for conditions affecting your bones and muscles)
- Thyroid and endocrine surgery (surgery on your endocrine glands)
- Urological surgery (surgery on your kidneys, bladder and urinary tract).
- Upper gastrointestinal surgery (surgery on the stomach and intestine). Will be published in autumn 2013
- Vascular surgery (surgery on your veins and arteries)
For more information about consultant surgical results, visit NHS Choices or HQIP.